Parke Castle, Co. Leitrim
Parke Castle on Loch Gill, formerly Sir Brian O'Rourke's Newtown Castle (16th century), was granted to Robert Parke, an English soldier and settler.
Captain Robert Parke built this late-medieval fortified manor house in 1609. Romantics should take note, this castle is situated on the shores of Lough Gill, immortalized in Irish poetry by W. B. Yeats.
Parke's Castle highlights include an Irish oak interior, mullioned windows, parapets, and a courtyard that predates the castle by a century. The grounds also feature a cluster of old stone buildings and a wishing well.
The castle was beautifully restored about ten years ago and is one of Ireland's finest examples of Plantation architecture.
This castle is open to the public from April through October and tour includes an audio-visual on the story of the building and colorful exhibits.
Portlick Castle, Co. Westmeath (Possibly For Sale)
Portlick Castle is an 12th century Dillon Castle located on the shores of Lough Ree with 30 acres of walled gardens, wooded areas and pasture land. The castle and period extensions have all been extensively renovated to a very high standard.
Portlick Castle remains the last of six Norman Castles built by charter of King John on the shores of Lough Ree, or "The Lake of Kings"
and is a stunning example of mediaeval architecture.
Additional wings were constructed in the 15th, 18th and 20th Centuries. An old ringfort and motte exist nearby dating from around 200 AD.
Above all, Portlick Castle is an edifice that stands proud alongside magnificent surroundings and is drenched in Irish history being the only surviving Dillon castle in the Ireland.
Currently this castle seems to be up for sale.
Portumna Castle, Co. Galway
The impressive castle at Portumna was the seat of the Clanricarde Burkes, for so long the most important landowners in County Galway. It was completed c. 1617 by Richard Burke, 4th Earl of Clanricarde, but was accidentally destroyed by fire in 1826. The Office of Public Works has been involved in its restoration in recent times. It is a large building, rectangular in shape, with four square towers at the corners. It was one of the first buildings in Ireland with Renaissance features and is also noted for the Jacobean-type gables on its roof. The castle is located in a most natural scenic setting overlooking Lough derg and also Portumna Forest Park, which was once part of the demesne. The front rose garden and elaborate entrance gate are added attractions.