Doe Castle, Co. Donegal
Doe Castle is a four-storey tower standing in a square turreted bawn built early in the 16th century on a beautiful site on Sheep Haven Bay by MacSweeney na d'Tuath, foster father of Red Hugh O'Donnell. The moat on the landward side has been hewn out of the rock. The castle is first mentioned in 1544 in connection with internecine wars between the sons of MacSweeney Doe. Wrecked sailors from the Spanish Armada were granted refuge here in 1588. By 1600 it had been taken over by Eoghan Og MacSweeny, an ally of the English, who was unsuccessfully besieged there by his brother Rory in 1601. Red Hugh O'Donnell attacked the castle unsuccessfully in 1601, but shortly afterwards the castle was granted by the Crown to Rory O'Donnell.
Taken again by the MacSweeneys in 1606, it was captured again by Rory O'Donnell in the following year. In the same year it was granted to Sir Basil Brooke, but was taken in 1608 by Sir Cahir O'Doherty's allies and shortly afterwards retaken by Crown forces. It was then granted to a number of English men before it fell into Irish hands again in 1641. In the following year it greeted Owen Roe O'Neill back to Ireland.
Captured by surprise by Coote for the Cromwellians in 1650, it later served as a Royal garrison under Charles ll. In the Williamite wars it was captured by Donough Og MacSweeney but was taken by the English again shortly afterwards. It was extensively repaired by Hart at the end of the 18th century and inhabited by his family until 1843 then deserted.
Donovan's Castle Co. Cork
Castle Donovan stood amid the rugged grandeur of Mullach Me�se,
Doir�n-a-Cr�onaigh and Gleannacloiche. It was the
principal Seat of the
O'Donovan Clan. It was built in the year 1560 by Donal
O'Donovan or D�nall
na gcroiceann, so called because when he was a young
child his mother had to
wrap him in skins to conceal him from his enemies.
The castle is 47' long, 26' wide and 61' high. The
walls are 6' thick .On the top
is a very well defined parapet.
The Castle was divided into various chambers or rooms.
One room was set
aside in the old days for food for the garrison and
another store room for
gunpowder and shot.
It is built on a very solid rocky foundation and faces
south of the valley. The
main door was of heavy oak and was situated in the
western-side. A spiral
stone stairs with 91 steps led from the ground floor to
the top of the castle. In
front of the main entrance was a huge flat topped rock
known as Carraig na
Mart. Here animals, mainly cattle and sheep were killed
Cathal � Donnabh�in ruled over 67 townlands, mostly in
and Myross. Clann Lochlann � Donnabh�inn held sway over
54 townlands to
the east of Glandore Harbour.
On the coast the lands of the O'Donovans stretched from
the Rowry River near Rosscarbery. Graciously
contributed by Jos Staats
Dunamase, Co. Laois
The Rock of Dunamase is one of the most prominent of the historical sites.
Once the fort of the O'Moore clan, it was destroyed by Cromwell's troops in
1650. The ruins stand on a hill overlooking Portlaoise, and if you climb the
hill you can explore them at your leisure. Lea Castle 3 km east of
Portarlington is a Norman castle, built in 1260 by William de Vesey. Like
Dunamase, it was destroyed by the Cromwellians after the rebellion of the
Dunluce Castle Co.Antrim
This spectacular castlecrowned crag on the famous north Antrim coast was
shaped when the sea cut deep into the land, exploiting cracks on either side
of the rock. Dunluce castle was originally occupied by the O'Donnells and was set to
seige by the British in the 16th Century. They eventually signed an accord
with the British in the name of peace. The dark hollow on the very right of
the castle was where the kitchen used to be. one night during a storm, that
part of the castle broke off and plumged into the sea, killing all the cooks and kitchenhands.
Dunmanus Castle, Co. Cork
Dunmanus Castle,is located on the Mizen Penninsula in County Cork. It is
situated right off the road that traverses the north side of the penninsula and
faces Dunmanus Bay.
It was built in 1430 A.D. by one of the O'Mahony Septs and is one of thirteen
O'Mahony castles in the area.
Photo and information contributed by